ScanVox is a free and easy-to-use software which, combined with a scanner, allows you to read printed documents, by scanning them and then browsing their content thanks to a speech synthesis.
At any time, it is possible to navigate through the text, pause and then resume reading.
ScanVox comes in 3 versions :
• ScanVox, free application available on the Microsoft Windows Store.
This version requires a Windows 10 computer, with speakers or headphones, and a WIA compatible scanner. All updates are free and automatically installed.
• ScanVox +, free application downloadable from our website.
This version will not change any more because it is intended for older devices. It requires a computer running Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, with speakers or headphones, and a TWAIN or WIA compatible scanner, which is the case with most scanners.
During installation, if you get a message from Microsoft Defender, click on 'More information' and then on the 'Run anyway' button.
• ScanVox PI, running on Raspberry PI, and allowing people without a computer to have a reading machine for 95€90 (excluding scanner and USB speakers or headphones, so you can choose the model).
This price includes :
• the Raspberry PI 400 (74€50), computer integrated into a compact 78-key keyboard, with 1.8 GHz 64-bit ARM quad-core processor, 4 GB of LPDDR4-3200 RAM, wifi, bluetooth, dimensions 286 x 122 x 23 mm, 385 g (on sale at PiAustralia, CanaKit, Pimoroni, PiHut, SB Components UK, PiShop US, Adafruit US).
When the keyboard is in front of you, you will find behind it, from right to left, 1 40-pin GPIO port (1), 1 microSD card slot (2), 2 microHDMI ports (3) (for connecting a display), 1 USB-C port for power adapter (4), 2 USB 3.0 ports (5), 1 USB 2.0 port (6), 1 ethernet port (7), 1 notch for adding a Kensington anti-theft system (8).
• the operating system with ScanVox (12€45), on a SanDisk 16 GB microSD card, class 10, up to 98 MB/s in reading (available on our site).
To avoid unnecessary costs, we invite you to order the Raspberry Pi 400 and its power adapter directly on the official distributors website (see links above). Arm yourself with patience because already a victim of its success... and of the pandemic, the product is out of stock in France until at least the end of March 2021 !
Indeed, its manufacturer, Sony, has been strongly impacted by the health crisis and cannot ensure sufficient production to meet demand.
For the microSD card containing the operating system with ScanVox, you can pre-order it on our site, by completing the following form :
(we will notify you by email as soon as the product is available -in March 2021- so that you can finalize your order)
When you have received your Raspberry PI 400, insert our microSD card in the slot provided for this purpose. Connect the adapter to the Raspberry then to power. Also connect your scanner and speakers to the USB ports behind the keyboard. Then start the computer by pressing the F10 key (fourth key to the left from the right end of the top of the keyboard).
After the system starts up, ScanVox will notify you as soon as it is operational.
Very important : never unplug your Raspberry before turning it off by pressing the F10 key again. Otherwise, you may damage the microSD card.
When the application starts, ScanVox welcomes you.
You can then simply interact with the application, thanks to the 4 arrow keys on your keyboard.
The Up and Down arrows allow to select a software functionality, the Left and Right arrows to choose one of the options of the selected functionality.
If no action on your part is detected within 3 seconds after selecting a feature with the Up and Down arrows, the application informs you of the options available for this feature.
You will find a summary of the commands offered by ScanVox in the table below :
|* not available in ScanVox +|
• You can scan several pages in a row. The software notifies you as soon as it has finished scanning and analyzing a page so that you can reposition your document on the scanner, to start scanning a new page.
• At any time, you can cancel a scan in progress by pressing the Left arrow.
• You can place a document on the scanner by reversing it: ScanVox will automatically reposition it in the right direction.
• ScanVox automatically detects your scanner, meaning that if you have several scanners, connect only the one you desire to use.
• If ScanVox does not detect any compatible scanner, while your scanner works correctly with other applications, it is certainly that you are using the generic driver of Windows 10, which is therefore not optimized for your scanner. Download the driver for your device from the manufacturer's website and install it on your PC.
• If you are not yet equipped with a scanner, no need to choose a high-end product... Multifunction scanners (printers-scanners, starting from € 30) are perfectly suitable and are often cheaper than simple scanners (from € 60), because these are the best-selling products !